Saturday, May 28, 2005

Sometimes deep is imagined

Last night I was listening to a variety of Chieftains CD's that my husband's co-worker sent home for me, having heard that I was once a fan. Seemingly enjoying the angst and sadness of some of the tunes I went searching for specific songs on old albums - Art Garfunkel singing 'Barbara Allan', Billy Vera and the Beaters singing 'Hopeless Romantic' (is that an oxymoron?), and Peter Allan singing 'Tenterfield Saddler.' That song pre-dates the web, so I had never thought to check out the lyrics and always wondered at their cryptic meaning.
Google means that there are very few mysteries left:

The Late George Woolnough worked on High Street
And lived on manners
Fifty two years he sat on his verandah and made his saddles
And if you had questions bout sheep or flowers or dogs
You'd just ask the saddler, he lived without sin
They're building a library for him

Time is a traveller
Tenterfield saddler turn your head
Ride again Jackeroo
Think I see Kangaroo up ahead

The son of George Woolnough went off and got married
And had a war baby
Though something went wrong and it's easier to drink than go crazy
And if there were questions bout why the end was so sad
Well, George had no answers bout why a son
Ever had need of a gun

Time is a traveller
Tenterfield Saddler turn your head
Ride again Jackaroo
Think I see Kangaroo up ahead

The grandson of George has been all around the world
And lives no special place
Changed his last name and he married a girl with an interesting face
He'd almost forgotten them both because in the life that he leads
There's no where for George and his library or the son with his gun
To belong except in this song

Time is a meddler
Tenterfield saddler make your bed
Fly again Cockatoo
Down on the ground Emu up ahead

Time is a tale-teller
Tenterfield Saddler make your bed
Fly again Cockatoo
Think I see Kangaroo up ahead

Time is a traveller
Tenterfield Saddler turn your head
Ride again Jackaroo
Think I see Kangaroo up ahead.

It seems so obvious now that I know - The saddler - George was his grandfather , and that is what he did for 52 years in an Australian town called Tenterfield. The son was Peter Allan's father - who had a drinking problem and shot himself. Peter is the grandson who changed his name, and married a girl with an interesting face (Lisa Minelli.)
So, no longer cryptic, but still sad. Peter, himself died of complications related to AIDS in 1992, and apparently is the subject of a musical called The Boy from Oz which I had never heard of until I googled last night. I was musing with a friend last night, wondering what it is in us that finds some kind of perverse pleasure in sad songs.
Well, as Andrew said, I guess I just felt the urge to say "Listen to me, somebody?, anybody?"

It is time, God willing, to prepare my heart for Sunday. I remember my sister lending me a book by Karen Mains about how to do that -for sure it matters to my Sunday how I spend Saturday night.

No comments: